Saturday, July 2, 2011

Art and Trash

My boyfriend and I went to First Friday in lovely downtown Phoenix last night. It was hot and uncomfortable, but I love the art scene there...at least I used to.

It's not about the art anymore. It's about a bunch of kids running around, or standing near a DJ spinning hardcore dance music while one or two people dance. It was painful seeing a middle school dance re-creation. Oh, and the really horrendous, ear-blood-educing "music" by a couple of Joe Blows who think their sound is revolutionary? You're a hipster magnet, so don't go quitting your day jobs just yet. I do admire your attempts to draw in a scout or a record label executive of sorts, but it's not going to happen. And if it does, how many blow jobs did it take? If you're doing it for the love of what you can create with an instrument, kudos.

The thing that really bothered me is how so many people in DTP claim to be "green" and preach all this Save the Planet bullshit when there was trash all over the streets. I don't think there was one block that didn't have empty bottles and fliers sprinkled around the sidewalk. One girl even mentioned something about the trash, then threw her empty pastry box on the ground and kept walking. HYPOCRITE! I know I'm probably shouting on my soap box to deaf ears and I should probably take some sort of action. But, it's not my job to clean up other people's messes. Take responsibility for your own garbage!


No comments:

Post a Comment